Thursday, July 9, 2009

The chosen One

The chosen One
by Carol Lynch Williams
Young Adult
3/5

I don't know much about polygamists but I see them about when I take my trips to Utah or even in Baltimore at the Zoo. I can't help but look and wonder like most people do. I often asked myself why? Why dress in a most Conservative fashion? Sleeves to their wrists and skirts to their ankles. How can they marry so young? What do they believe? Who is their prophet? And the question does arise within me. How can those women share their husbands? Some of these questions were answered through Kyra. One of the "Chosen Ones" lead by prophet Childs. The book is quick and does not dig too deep but you still grit your teeth at the beliefs of this cult. Kyra lived a life with her family in a compound sheltered from the "demons" of the world. Something stirred within her when the prophet decided to burn all books for a cleansing. She would sometimes wonder outside the gates of the compound until she found the library on wheels driven by an older man named Patrick. She became friends with him and would sneak out to check books out, hide them under her dress and return to the grounds. Kyra even fell in love with a boy, Joshua, who was only a few years older then her. They met in secret, read books and promised themselves to each other. Kyra was one of many children her father had with three wives. All three wives living in separate trailers but on the same lot. She would have her prayer study, practice piano and serviced her family all of which was requested of the prophet. But her simple life was about to end. A special request was given for a visit from the prophet Childs. The family stood dressed in their best clothes and the best meal the family could prepare before them. Then a shock to the family. Prophet Childs addresses the family and shares a revelation that thirteen year old Kyra was to marry her sixty year old Uncle, Hyrum an apostle. Life was never the same for Kyra. She fought. She tried to escape. Her and Joshua beaten until their eyes were swollen shut for adultery. The terror continues. Kyra is now being watched by the "God Squad" (enforcers of discipline). Throughout this book I wanted to jump into the pages and pull this young girl and every young girl out from the confines of this life. But then another view emerges. These girls did not chose this life. They were born and raised into it. It is the only life they know. My heart ached as this story unfolds. A chill ran up my spine and I still ask myself why? Not a why to these women but Why to the freedoms of religion. Please. I do believe in freedom and understand the sacrifices of our great country but I don't believe in kidnapping, the raping of innocence and woman and child being subservient hidden behind the "freedoms" of our Constitution.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails