Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Duck Soup

Duck Soup
Jackie Urbanovic
Childrens
3/5

As goes many of our trips to the library, we came home with a huge stack of books. I noticed this one right away from its illustrations but I didn't read it before bringing it home. I noticed that it was a New Yorks bestseller and thought I couldn't go wrong. Despite the catching illustrations, I would read this book first before you present it to your children. It can be a little scary. As I was reading, I noticed Kylas eyebrows starting to pull down with a look of great concern. The book in a nutshell is about a duck who loves to cook soup for all his animal friends. When he finally decides to make his own recipe, a dish he can call all his own, he realizes he is missing some herbs. He runs out to his garden to gather some and while he is out his animal friends drop by to see what smells so good. They notice the soup but NO duck. They come to the conclusion that duck fell inside the pot and cooked himself. The animals frantically tried to save him from the cooking pot and grabbed a strainer to catch his parts while the soup went down the drain. They mistook carrots for his feet and potatoes for his eyes. Kinda scary huh? I thought so. In the end the duck comes in and notices that his soup is gone. His friends are grateful he is unharmed and they end up having pizza for dinner and not duck soup. Like I said, its a cute book with catchy illustrations but kinda scary for my two and a half year old.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails