Friday, January 23, 2009

The Hunger Games


The Hunger Games
by Suzanne Collins
young adult fiction
5*/5
Warning! Highly addictive. On the continent formally known as North America, sixteen year old Katniss Everdeen finds herself as a tribute in the 74th Hunger Games. Established by the Capitol as a reminder to the people of Panem and its surrounding districts of the Apocalypse many years ago. Devastating the lands and leaving districts in poverty. It is a game of survival. As all 24 tributes, two from each district file into the arena, it is either kill or die. The winner and their family to be set for life. But its not that simple. With the Capitol in control of the arena, food and water are scarce, dramatic temperature changes occur, and supplies moderated. The games are not just to serve as a reminder but also a source of entertainment. Katniss finds herself out numbered by the alliances of the careers, making out witting them and the Capitol her only means of survival. But this may cost her dearly. I enjoyed reading this book. My only regret was that I was not able to sit and read it in one day. It took me three days to finish and every time I had to put it down I felt edgy. I did not want the story to end. I am looking forward to Suzanne Collins second book. I recommend you set a day aside for reading and indulge!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails